Pandharpur is a holy and famous pilgrimage place dedicated to Lord Vitthal and Shri. Rakhumai goddess prominently worshipped among Varkari community. It is also one of the Kuldaivat of Maharashtra State.In year four big Wari festivals of lord Vithal at Pandharpur.It is located at a distance of 72 km by road from Solapur District headquarters. An important tourist destination is Siddeshwar Temple, the abode of Siddheshwar (Siddhrameshwara) built in the 16th century. It attracts 3.5 million pilgrims yearly. Solapur is also famous for its Markandeya Temple built in 1893, the Venkateshwara Temple built in 1970, and the Rupa Bhavani temple built in the 19th century, Shri Shankar Temple. The Baba Umer Dargah of Solapur is a shrine revered by Muslims. Solapur has a land based fort in the city centre. and also, Akkalkot was the home to Shri Swami Samarth Maharaj, a 19th-century saint who is believed by his devotees to be an incarnation of Lord Dattatreya. Akkalkot State during the British Raj, was a princely state ruled by the royal Bhonsale dynasty.
Solapur has 7 medical colleges, 2 agricultural college & University, 10 engineering colleges and hence been the main hub of education for southern eastern region of Maharashtra.
- Walchand Hirachand, Indian industrialist and founder of Walchand group
- Dwarkanath Kotnis, among the physicians dispatched to China to provide medical assistance during the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1938.
- Shashikala, actress in Marathi and Hindi Movies
- Vandana Shanbagh, Arjuna award winner athlete, she represented India at 1988 Olympics
- Dr. Jabbar Patel is a theatre and film director of India
- Polly Umrigar, one of the all-time greats of Indian cricket.
- Anagha Deshpande, Indian Women Cricket player
- Atul Kulkarni, Famous Indian film actor
- Achyut Godbole, Maharashtrian and Marathi and English writer